We would like to thank everyone who attended this years Welsh Veterans Awards, held at the Village Hotel and Leisure Club Swansea on 26th June 2019. The Awards were sponsored by TASC Holdings Ltd and in Support of The ABF The Soldiers’ Charity!
Well done to everyone who were shortlisted as finalists, we had a huge amount of applications and the shortlisting process was extremely difficult. We would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who put forward nominations, you are all doing amazing things in your relevant fields and you should be so proud of your achievements!
A huge thanks to Brigadier AS Richmond OBE, Head of the Army in Wales and the Commander of 160th Infantry Brigade. The Brigadier kindly spoke at our Awards evening. Thank you to the fantastic Support given by the Corps of Drums of the Royal Welsh, Shenkin IV the Goat Major and of course the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards!
We are so thankful to all our supporters, volunteers and sponsors who helped put this together!
Some of the highlights of the night saw two members of Staff from the Motivational Preparation College for Training (MPCT) pick up Winners Awards and Barry John MBE of VC Art Gallery claim the Community Award, Lifetime Achievement Award and became our First Overall Welsh Veterans Awards Champion!
We want to Inspire our future service leavers that great things can happen. Its you who will act as role models and in some cases mentors, remember Positivity breeds Positivity.
Our Winners are :
Welsh Veterans Awards Champion – Barry John MBE – VC Gallery
Inspiration of the Year Award – Sponsored by Porters Estate Agents
- Steve Tallis – MPCT (Winner)
- Maldwyn Jones (Silver)
- Gary Hales Gus (Bronze)
Role Model of the Year – Sponsored by TASC Holdings Ltd
- Pierre Cornlouer (Winner)
- Sian Woodland – Woodys Lodge (Silver)
- Dr Ross Hall (Bronze)
The Community Award- Sponsored by Empower SVS
- Barry John MBE – The VC Gallery – (Winner)
- Lisa Rawlings – AFLO – (Silver)
- Kevin Hackett – Change Step – (Bronze)
Contribution to Welsh Fitness Industry- Sponsored by The Sand Bag Times In Association with Team Dynamics Motorsport
- Phil Jones – Swansea Outdoor Fitness & MPCT – (Winner)
- Neil Adams – IKAN Fitness – (Silver)
- David Lee North – Personal Training Studio – (Bronze)
Entrepreneur of the Year- Sponsored by Business in Focus
- Peter Webber – CellPath Ltd – (Winner)
- Colin Singer – Wagtail UK Ltd – (Silver)
- Mike Smith – Hard Target Airsoft – (Bronze)
Lifetime Achievement – Sponsored by Gum Blitzer
- Barry John MBE – The VC Gallery – (Winner)
- Nicholas Beswick – General Dynamics UK – (Silver)
- Fred Hatton MBE – DWP – (Bronze)
Employer of the Year- Sponsored by Student Digz
- Wagtail UK – (Winner)
- MPCT – (Silver)
- Vigilant SG – (Bronze)
Business Leader of the Year- Sponsored by Hugh James Solicitors
- Alan Brayley – AB Glass Ltd – (Winner)
- Sean Taylor – Zip World – (Silver)
- Dawn Evans – Ajuda – (Bronze)
Volunteer of the Year – Sponsored by United Commercial Finance
- AJ Pingram – (Winner)
- Chris Headon – (Silver)
- David Griggs MBE – SSAFA – (Bronze)
Veterans Business of the Year Award – Sponsored by Educ8 Training
- Ajuda Limited – (Winner)
- Preventa pest – (Silver)
- Hearing Aid Solutions – (Bronze)
Contribution to Welsh Sport and Society- Sponsored by Print inc Embroidery and Print – Honorary Award, Delivered to a Very Special Sports Person who has achieved some fantastic things whilst serving and also upon leaving the Military competing in professional sport and playing to a National Level.
- Jordan James – Jordan Joined the Royal Marines in 1998 as a 17 year old, he passed training as an original and was awarded the prestigious Kings Badge for being the best all round recruit in his Troop, he was sent to 42 Commando at Bickleigh Barracks in Plymouth, here he spent his 5 years serving around the globe and Operationally in Northern Ireland and Iraq, he was an avid sportsman while in the corps and represented the Marines, Navy and Combined Services on a number of occasions some in rugby union but the majority in Rugby League, here he was scouted by super league teams and was given the opportunity to leave and become a full time professional rugby league player. His career saw him play for Sheffield Eagles, Castleford Tigers, Wigan Warriors, Widnes Vikings, Crusaders and Salford Reds. He represented and captained his nation of Wales on 32 occasions, leading them to European champions, playing in the 4 nations and playing in a World Cup, he finished his career at Wigan Warriors having played over a hundred super league games in his career. He now owns two barbershops and a speciality coffee shop in Manchester where he lives with his wife Harriette and French Tyson. He has always said without his green beret he never would have achieved even half of anything he did, the marines will always live in him in everything he does.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our Shortlisted Finalists remember its you who inspire our future service leavers – Keep an eye out on Facebook for our pictures of the evening coming soon!